This will be held on Wednesday 7/3/2018 at Parklands Social Centre starting at 9:30am
What is U3A?
U3A is an acronym for University of the Third Age. It is derived from the idea that our lives go through three phases:
- Childhood and school
- Family creation and work, and then
- Retirement (or semi-retirement).
It is in retirement/semi-retirement phase (the Third Age), that we can explore the concept of a university being a community of lively minds with limitless boundaries. It is a platform from which short courses can be provided by members who have knowledge and a keen interest in their chosen areas. This way members can continue learning and socialising within the community.
U3A was originally founded in France and now has a huge international following. You can view more background detail by going to U3A Wikipedia page
How Kapiti U3A works
- You do not have to have a degree and there are no exams !
- Topics are determined by members who are knowledgeable and keen about a topic and willing to lead a course. A study group is proposed and advertised in the Course Booklet. If a sufficient number of people signup, the course goes ahead. A course may also have a convenor who will help the Leader with the running of the course.
- Courses are informal and often held in members’ homes.
- Not all courses have a cost, but when they do, the costs are kept to a minimum and members are notified in advance. Any charges will be to cover incidentals such as photocopying or maybe a cup of tea.
- Courses are usually run during the day.
You do not have to be an expert to lead a course; just have an interest, or perhaps a passion for a particular topic… or may be you could lead a discussion group and gain input from all of the participants.
If you might like to lead a course in an area of interest to you please contact the Courses Organiser.
Page last edited at