2017 Christmas Party
All members of Kapiti U3A are welcome to attend this on the 16 November. It’s no cost and details can be read from this link
What is U3A?
U3A is an acronym for University of the Third Age. It is derived from the idea that our lives go through three phases:
- Childhood and school
- Family creation and work, and then
- Retirement (or semi-retirement).
It is in retirement/semi-retirement phase (the Third Age), that we can explore the concept of a university being a community of lively minds with limitless boundaries. It is a platform from which short courses can be provided by members who have knowledge and a keen interest in their chosen areas. This way members can continue learning and socialising within the community.
U3A was originally founded in France and now has a huge international following. You can view more background detail by going to U3A Wikipedia page
How Kapiti U3A works
- You do not have to have a degree and there are no exams !
- Topics are determined by members who are knowledgeable and keen about a topic and willing to lead a course. A study group is proposed and advertised in the Course Booklet. If a sufficient number of people signup, the course goes ahead. A course may also have a convenor who will help the Leader with the running of the course.
- Courses are informal and often held in members’ homes.
- Not all courses have a cost, but when they do, the costs are kept to a minimum and members are notified in advance. Any charges will be to cover incidentals such as photocopying or maybe a cup of tea.
- Courses are usually run during the day.
You do not have to be an expert to lead a course; just have an interest, or perhaps a passion for a particular topic… or may be you could lead a discussion group and gain input from all of the participants.
If you might like to lead a course in an area of interest to you please contact the Courses Organiser.
Page last edited at