The current Rules (aka Constitution) can be downloaded from this link.
In early 2019 the committee went through the exercise of doing a major rewrite of the Rules.
The draft new rules will be presented to the 2020 AGM for adoption. Rather than list multiple changes to existing rules the committee will be moving the motion :
THAT the existing Rules be replaced by the Rules as publicised with the noitce of this meeting.
You can download a copy of the proposed new Rules from this link.
(Changes are marked by a vertical line alongside the text)
The aim of the rewrite was:
- to simplify the structure so that instead of in some cases a single paragraph having 3 ideas within it the 3 ideas have been split into separate clauses. This makes the Rules easier to read and easier to amend.
- to improve the structure so that procedures such as Quorum , Voting are now clearly identified.
- to simplify the language
- to add new clauses to reflect current practice.
- to anticipate likely changes which may be required by the new Incorporated Societies Act when passed through Parliamentlater this year or in 2020
What has not changed:
- The Objects
- The procedure for electing the committee and then the incoming committee then elects the President,Secretary etc
- The President can only hold office for a maximum of 3 years
What has changed:
- The removal of the 3 year restriction on being a committee member
- Rename Honorary Membership to Life Membership
- Nominations for committee can be received upto the day before the AGM – instead of 14 days before
- The dissolution procedure – to ensure U3A cannot be wound up at the whim of a single meeting
What is new
- Added a definitions clause to make it clear what words in the Rules are referring to.
- The right of the committee to engage contractors to assist them (current practise but not provided for in the old rules)
- The right to pay Honoraria (current practise but not provided for in the old rules)
- A disputes procedure (likely to be required by amendments to Incorporated Societies Act)
- A clause defining liability of Officers (likely to be required by amendments to Incorporated Societies Act)
Page last edited at