You need to be a financial member of U3A to participate in an Interest Group. Please wear your badge when you attend a group meeting.
Cafe Coffee Group
This is a new group in 2021
This social group will explore all the Kapiti Coast Cafes and meet for a coffee and chat about anything and everything.
Leader 1: Jackie Johnson Ph 027 458 9513
Leader 2: Alison Maysmor Ph 021 034 6472
Timing: 10:00am every Wednesday
Start date: 17 March
As this is a new group please contact Jackie or Alison if you are interested
The group meets and discusses local, national and world issues. Discussion is initiated by members of the group. This has proven to be highly successful. It is the format most meetings will follow in 2021.
Leader: Fred McCausland Ph 293 6271
Convenor: Alex MacDonald Ph 905 5291
Timing: March – November, 2nd Weds, 10:00 to 11:30
Have Your Say
A friendly discussion group airing views on matters local, national, international and ethical.
Leader: Anne Wall Ph 293 5000
Timing February to December, 1st & 3rd Thursdays, 10:00 to 12:00
This group meets on a Monday morning and has a programme of speakers through out the year. For all the details about what Kaleidoscope is and how to enrol go to this link.
New Zealand Constitutional Affairs
New in 2021
Come along to discuss learn about, and debate in a friendly supportive forum some of the most interesting and relevant topics of our time as NZ moves along the twenty first century, starting with:
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi (Treaty of Waitangi). Its history. What the Maori and English version say. Relevance for the 21st Century. Place as a founding and its first constitutional document of our nation. Its importance for the future of NZ as a democratic, bicultural multi- cultural nation.
- New Zealand’s current constitutional arrangement as a democratic constitutional monarchy. Our future constitutional arrangements . Do we continue as a monarchy or become a republic . If so what form will any change likely take . Do we want a written constitution. What do you think about the implications of the above.
- NZ’s place in the world in the new geopolitical age of the 21st century.
- Other topics members of the group would like to discuss arising out of the above.
Leader: Peter Hodgson Ph 293 1191
Timing: March to July 3rd Thursday of the month 2:00pm to 4:00pm First meeting is Thursday 18 March 2021
Location: 2 Papawai Grove, Waikanae
As this is a new group if you are interested in participating please contact the leader before the start date.
We look at questions which have interested thinkers throughout the ages. While we will be looking at some of their thoughts, the main thrust of this course is to discuss the questions ourselves. Members suggest topics and briefly introduce them, if necessary, with the help of the leader.
Topics for discussion in 2021 will be advised. 2020 Topics included:
• Works of Rene Descartes
• Social Structure/Biculturalism
• Basic Terms of Social Science
• Philosophy of Music
• What is Fact?
Leader: Pat Belgrave: Ph 022 302 1006 or 04 212 5606
Timing: February to December, 2nd Thursday, 2:00 to 4:00, but this can vary to suit the wishes of the leader and group members.
Location: Member’s homes where possible.
Cost: Afternoon tea $2 and occasional photocopying costs.
T4U – Time to Get to Know Your U3A Neighbours
T4U are meetings to meet your U3A neighbour. Members bring individual topics to be discussed by the group
Leader: Lyn Bennett Ph 904 1170
Timing: February to December, Weekly on a Tuesday at 2:00pm
Location: Contact Lyn for the weekly location.
Page was last edited on